Open Electric Ceases Trading
Consumer Council advises Open Electric Customers that their electricity supply is unaffected.
The Consumer Council has today learned that electricity supplier Open Electric, has stopped trading and their licence to supply electricity has been revoked by the Utility Regulator as of Sunday 18 December.
Commenting on the announcement, John French, Chief Executive of the Consumer Council said: “This announcement is unwelcome news for Open Electric and its approximately 1,100 customers.
“However, we would like to advise Open Electric customers that there will be no interruption to their electricity supply, as they will already have been automatically transferred to Power NI standard tariff and keypad customers transferred to the Power NI keypad tariff.”
“Power NI will be emailing Open Electric customers today informing them of the situation and what they need to do. The Utility Regulator has also produced a useful Questions and Answer factsheet, which is available on their website www.uregni.gov.uk.”
John added “Any keypad customers who need to top up their electricity must contact Power NI to swap their Open Electric card number for a new Power NI card number as they will not be able to top up their meter without having first done this. They can do this by contacting Power NI on freephone 0800 011 3435 or online at www.powerni.co.uk. However, if they are unable to contact Power NI immediately both emergency and friendly credit arrangements will keep supply on until 8am on Monday 19 December, after which they contact Power NI and top up their card.”
If any consumer does have any queries or would like advice please contact the Consumer Council on freephone 0800 121 6022.
Open Electric Timeline
Sunday 18 December 2016
- Open Electric customers transferred to Power NI.
- Power NI emailing Open Electric customers.
- Power NI Contact Centre open from 9am – 5pm.
- Keypad customers will be able to swap their card numbers by contacting Power NI on 0800 011 3435 or online at www.powerni.co.uk
Wednesday 18 January 2017
- Open Electric customers who have been transferred to Power NI will be able to switch to a supplier and tariff of their choice.
- For information on switching and getting the best energy deal contact the Consumer Council on 0800 121 6022 and use our online energy price comparison tool at www.consumercouncil.org.uk
028 9025 1650
Senior Communications Officer
028 9025 1655
(Out of Hours: 078 2514 7496)
028 9025 1667
Opening Hours9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
(except for bank and public holidays)
For up-to-the-minute updates, follow us: