I did not receive the appropriate special assistance from the airline, which I had requested
I did not receive the appropriate special assistance from the airline, which I had requested for my son at the time of booking the flights. At the time of booking and indeed a few days before the flight I had requested and confirmed the ‘Meet & Assist’ service for both segments of my son’s journey. However on the outbound flight the airline failed to provide the necessary assistance which left my son in a vulnerable situation and caused him great distress. I had written to the airline to complain but did not receive a response.
- The Consumer Council contacted the airline on behalf of the consumer to investigate the concerns raised and to ascertain why the airline had failed to provide the ‘Meet & Assist’ service as requested.
- The airline confirmed receipt of the special assistance request from the consumer and explained that they had failed to provide the ‘Meet & Assist’ service due to miscommunication among staff and a lack of understanding of the passenger’s requirements.
- The airline apologised for its failure to provide the adequate assistance on this occasion and also for the distress and anxiety caused to the passenger as a result.
- The airline also advised that it had raised the issue with senior managers within the relevant departments in an effort to prevent this from happening again in the future.
- The airline also refunded the cost of the flight as a gesture of goodwill.