It is important to choose the most suitable postal product, understand your rights and be aware of potentially higher delivery charges.
We send parcels throughout the year through the postal system. It is important to choose the most suitable postal product if sending parcels and to understand your rights and be aware of potentially higher delivery charges when shopping online.
If you are sending parcels, follow our checklist:
- Check the recipients address and make sure it clearly labelled to include house number/name and postcode.
- Always check if you can send the contents of your mail item through the postal network or if any restrictions or prohibitions apply.
- Always include a return address.
- Pay the correct postage.
- Get proof of posting.
For more information see our guide 'Sending Letters and Parcels'.
Delivery Surcharging and Restrictions
Online shoppers in Northern Ireland can often face problems getting parcels delivered to Northern Ireland, or higher surcharges to deliver here. A new website www.deliverylaw.uk provides a portal to report problems you've had with retailers.
When shopping online, retailers must:
- Inform you about delivery charges and terms and conditions no later than the beginning of the ordering process;
- Ensure information about delivery charges and terms is be clearly indicated; and
- State who is responsible for the return of items if unsuitable.