Activities for ages 10 - 14
The Consumer Council promotes and safeguards the interests of all Northern Ireland consumers and we have devised a number of consumer rights themed games and quizzes that you and your family can do while you are in the house. The recommended ages for these activities are 10 - 14 years old.
Earn your acorns - Activities Tracker
Help Peanut the Squirrel earn The Golden Acorn by completing activities from our website.
For each activity you earn an acorn. After completing your 6th activity, Peanut gets The Golden Acorn.
To view our online quizzes go to: www.consumercouncil.org.uk/quiz
Consumer Rights Activities
Activity 1: Help Peanut crack the code
There are 6 secret messages, which give tips on how to save energy, avoid food waste and shop responsibly.
Can you help Peanut the Squirrel decode each of these secret messages?
Activity 2: Snakes and Ladders
Can you answer the consumer rights questions to climb the snake and declare yourself as the winner?
Activity 3: Charades
Can you act out the word without speaking to become the winning team?
Activity 5: Pairs
Can you reveal the most pairs in the game to become the winner?
Activity 6: Group activity
Game 1: Fastest team wins quiz
- Divide into teams. A member of the family has to act as the game master as they will have correct answers.
- Each team must identify whether each item is classified as ‘Goods’, ‘Services’ or ‘Digital Content’.
- The fastest team that gets all the answers right are declared the winners.
Avoiding Scams Activities
Activity 1: Scams crossword puzzle
Fill in the gaps to learn more about how people can be tricked by scams.
4. Copycat websites, loan scams and bogus emails fall into which category of scam? ONLINE
5. Consumers should be wary of letters and calls relating to any competitions that they haven't entered. An example is... LOTTERIES
6. This type of scammer can pretend to be the council, charity or a supplier to gain entry into your home. ROGUETRADER
1. Scammers may persuade you to send them this. MONEY
2. Scammers can claim to be legitimate organisations such as... BANKS
3. If you have been caught out by a scam who should you contact? CONSUMERLINE
Activity 2: Scams group activity
Game 1: Charades
- Print out the different items and cut them up for each player.
- Divide into teams with each team being given an equal number of cards
- Play a game of charades from the list of items on the sheet.
- The team that guesses the most answers are declared the winners. Be sure to set a time limit for each game of charades!
Game 2: Snap
- Print out two sets of the cards.
- Cut the cards up and set the cards face down on the table.
- Happy snapping!
Activity 3: Scam word search (intermediate)
Complete the word search by finding all of the scam-related words located in the word bank - this one a bit harder than the first one. Are you up for the challenge? Make it a friendly competition and see who can do it the fastest!
Activity 1: Fill in the gaps to keep your money safe
Learn the best way to keep your money safe. Fill in the gaps to learn the different ways to store money and then circle the best way to keep your money safe.
Activity 2: Budgeting word search (intermediate)
Complete the word search by finding all of the words located in the word bank. Are you up for the challenge? Make it a friendly competition and see who can do it the fastest!
Activity 3: Budgeting worksheet (wants vs needs)
Using various scenarios, work alone or in groups to choose what items to buy based on the budget you are given.