Many of us use Royal Mail to send letters and parcels. However competition in the postal market is growing, providing both consumers and businesses with a range of postal options.
Follow our top tips to ensure you get value for money on your postal requirements.
- Shop around for a cheaper price or more convenient service.
- Parcel Collection: Many parcel companies can pick up items from your home or work premises and deliver to the designated address.
- Parcel Drop-Off: Book you postal order online and deliver your parcel to a local shop that is registered with the delivery company.
- Comparison Website: Websites like niparcels.com or parcelstogo.com can sometimes have the cheapest postage deals, depending on size, weight, distance and urgency
- Consider posting non-urgent items using an economy service such as 2nd class.
- Check the size and weight of item - If possible reduce the size of your parcel by folding the item or remove unnecessary packaging.
- Ensure items are adequately packaged – Whilst removing unnecessary packaging can reduce cost, it is important to ensure adequate packaging particularly if the item is fragile or heavy, to avoid damage or perhaps additional charges on receipt of item.
- High volume mailers - If sending large quantities of mail consider shopping around to avail of discounts from other postal operators or change the method you use to pay for your postage costs, for example, explore cheaper alternatives like online postage.
More information is available from our ‘Sending Letters and Parcels’ guide.