Energy
admin
09th March 2001

STAY SAFE - AND SATISFIED

Snow and plunging temperatures over the past month meant that most homes in Northern Ireland turned up the heat.

9 March 2001 STAY SAFE - AND SATISFIED Snow and plunging temperatures over the past month meant that most homes in Northern Ireland turned up the heat. Good timing therefore for the latest leaflet from the General Consumer Council which sets out how to Stay safe when burning fuel Get satisfaction if you have problems with coal or natural gas. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. Official figures show that it causes the deaths of about 5 people each year in Northern Ireland. The Consumer Council’s leaflet tells people exactly what to do if they suspect fumes or a gas escape and gives the necessary emergency phone numbers. It gives safety tips stressing the need to have fires, flues and boilers regularly maintained and serviced to prevent any risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. And the Council offers a free, independent complaints service to anyone facing a problem with their coal or gas supplier. Over 100 people who failed to get satisfaction from their supplier have been helped by the Council this year already. Notes to Editors 1. Dept of Trade & Industry figures show 49 deaths in NI in the ten years from 1988 –1997 as a result of carbon monoxide from domestic heating systems. 2 For further information contact Joanne Stevenson on 9067 2488 (Office Hours) or 07979 392284 (Mobile).

Topics