Prevent home heating oil theft this winter
With colder weather upon us, and many households stocking up with home heating oil, The Consumer Council has shared tips to avoid potential oil theft.
Richard Williams, Head of Energy Policy at The Consumer Council, said: “Home heating oil tanks can be a target for thieves, especially if they are unsecure. If you are installing a new oil tank, ensure it is placed in the most secure location. If your oil tank is already positioned, there are a number of steps you can take to safeguard it this winter.”
- Lock your gates;
- Create obstacles or place gravel around the tank that will make noise;
- Use high plants to hide the tank;
- Use closed shackle padlocks, as they are difficult to open without the key;
- Install outdoor lighting; and,
- Install oil tank level alarms – these can be expensive, but so is oil theft!
The Consumer Council is also advising consumers to shop around for the best price of oil.
Richard added: “Our research shows over 60% of households in Northern Ireland do not shop around to get the best price for oil. We conduct a weekly oil price survey which is published on our website. Consumers can use this information to see how much the average cost of oil is in their region.”