Main content
08th September 2021

Firmus energy tariffs to increase by 35.15%

Firmus energy has announced today, 8 September 2021, an increase of 35.15% from 1st October 2021 for gas customers in the Ten Towns area.

This news will impact approximately 55,000 domestic customers in the Ten Towns area and means the yearly gas bill of a typical household with a credit meter will rise by about £182 per year. Those customers with a prepayment gas meter (PAYG) will see their typical costs increase by around £173 per year.

Peter McClenaghan, Director of Infrastructure and Sustainability at the Consumer Council said: “The size of the firmus energy price increase will shock consumers, make household budgeting more challenging, and is particularly difficult as consumers have no option to switch supplier.” 

“This firmus energy increase follows rises in electricity, grocery, and fuel costs and is particularly bad news for consumers in vulnerable situations as it will coincide with the end of the furlough scheme, the removal of the Universal Credit uplift, and the start of winter.”

“We encourage anyone who is struggling with their energy bills to contact their supplier directly for help and information. We also encourage consumers to think about ways they can reduce their energy costs via energy efficiency, switching energy supplier, or changing billing method.”

The Consumer Council’s website has a number of free resources including Switch On: A Guide for Home Energy Users to help consumers be more energy efficient at home, get the best from their electricity or gas supply and save money.

Peter continued: “The Consumer Council will continue to work with our energy companies and the Utility Regulator on the development of initiatives to help consumers experiencing payment difficulties.”

firmus energy customers in Greater Belfast and in the West network area will not be impacted by this tariff change.

Consumers can also get in touch with the Consumer Council for free independent advice by calling Freephone 0800 121 6022 or by emailing