Consumer Council welcomes firmus energy’s tariff reductions
The Consumer Council welcomes Firmus Energy’s decision to reduce natural gas tariffs in the Greater Belfast area by up to 10 per cent and 5 per cent in the Ten Towns licence area.
Richard Williams, Head of Energy at the Consumer Council said: “The reduction in Firmus Energy’s tariffs of up to 10 per cent in Greater Belfast and 5 per cent in the Ten Towns is positive news for consumers. The reduction comes on the back of sustained falls in the international wholesale gas market and follows last week’s announcement from SSE Airtricity. Overall, this will mean the annual gas bill of a typical household with a credit meter in Greater Belfast will fall by £57 and £31 in the Ten Towns.”
Richard added, “In addition gas customers in Greater Belfast can choose between Firmus Energy and SSE Airtricity as their natural gas supplier. The Consumer Council would encourage all households in Greater Belfast who use natural gas to check if they are getting the best possible deal. The Consumer Council website provides a gas price comparison table, which helps consumers compare tariffs and a step by step guide to switching their supplier so that consumers can get the best possible deal when paying for their natural gas.”
If you have a complaint or enquiry concerning natural gas you can contact the Consumer Council on 0800 121 6022, email email@example.com, twitter (@ConsumerCouncil) or facebook (Consumer Council Northern Ireland).
Notes to Editor
- The Ten Towns area covers Antrim, Armagh, Banbridge, Craigavon, Newry, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine, Limavady and Londonderry.
- Current typical annual firmus energy Greater Belfast domestic gas bill is £573. New typical annual firmus energy Greater Belfast domestic gas bill is £516. Based on non Direct Debit standard credit meter customer using 12500 kwh per year.
- Current typical annual firmus energy 10 Towns domestic gas bill is £618. New typical annual firmus energy 10 Towns domestic gas bill is £587. Based on non Direct Debit standard credit meter customer using 12500 kwh per year.
- Gas tariff reductions are effective from 5 October 2015 for the Greater Belfast area and 1 October 2015 for Ten Towns area.
- Since it started supplying gas in 2006, the firmus energy licence allowed it to sell gas below the full cost price in order to maximise the number of connections. firmus energy are now required by the Regulator to charge the full cost of distributing its gas, since the Ten Towns domestic market opened for competition on 1 April 2015.
028 9025 1650
Senior Communications Officer
028 9025 1655
(Out of Hours: 078 2514 7496)
028 9025 1667
Opening Hours9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
(except for bank and public holidays)
For up-to-the-minute updates, follow us: