Getting the best deal possible from banks and building societies and having access to appropriate financial products and services.
The Consumer Council is committed to driving change to benefit all consumers in Northern Ireland (NI) and make sure they get the best deal possible from banks and building societies. We also work with government and stakeholders to ensure that consumers have access to appropriate financial products and services.
Our work to date includes:
- We developed a Personal Current Account Manifesto, based on the key items that consumers have recommended for improvement. We updated this in September 2013, and published and circulated it to all banks. We continue to engage with all banks operating in NI to promote the manifesto’s goals.
- The Consumer Council is a member of the British Bankers’ Association’s Consumer Panel. The panel regularly meets to bring together consumer advocates, leading charities and senior bankers to identify areas where banks can improve the service they offer to customers.
- We have published a number of reports on consumer banking based on our research. These can be downloaded below:
- Personal Current Account Manifesto: A report on issues in daily banking services;
- Payment Pending: A report into the Ulster Bank payments crisis during summer 2012; and
- Ways to Pay: A report into consumers’ views on making payments.
Please see below links to publications and factsheets in relation to banking:
Guide to Switching Bank Account
Payday Loan Factsheet
Thinking about borrowing money
Banking Glitches and your rights
Home Contents Insurance for those who rent
Link - Staying secure at ATMs
Opening a Bank Account
Safer Ways to Pay