Got a complaint about buses, trains, planes, ferries, natural gas, electricity, coal or water?
- If you have contacted the company concerned and they have not solved the problem or you are not satisfied with their response, contact our consumer support team on 0800 121 6022 or make a complaint online. (Please note: calls will be recorded in order to improve the quality of our service and for business purposes)
- The Consumer Council can help. We have the legal power to act on your behalf and investigate your complaint. If you want help on how to make an effective complaint, click here.
- If you would like someone else to act on your behalf, just give us your permission in writing.
What happens when we investigate your complaint?
- We will contact the company concerned and discuss how we can resolve your complaint.
- We will request copies of all correspondence exchanged in relation to your complaint.
- We will work on your behalf to achieve a fair and satisfactory response.
- We will keep you informed at every step of the complaint.
Note: Electricity, natural gas and water companies have ten working days to respond to us and transport companies have fifteen working days to respond.
If at the end of the complaint process I'm not satisfied with the service I received from the Consumer Council - what do I do?
- Write to the Chief Executive of the Consumer Council.
- We will acknowledge your complaint within two days and respond within ten.
- After a full investigation, we will explain what happened.
- If we have made a mistake, we will apologise and put things right if we can.
If you are not satisfied with the Chief Executive’s response, you can ask the Northern Ireland Ombudsman to investigate your complaint. Visit http://www.ni-ombudsman.org.uk/ for more information.