Our top tips on making an effective complaint.
- Give the company an opportunity to put things right. If you are unsure about how to make a complaint, contact our Consumer Protection team on 0800 121 6022. They can guide you through making an effective complaint. (Please note: calls will be recorded in order to improve the quality of our service and for business purposes)
- Ask the company for a copy of their complaints procedure so you can be sure that they are handling your complaint correctly.
- If you are complaining by telephone, make a note of what you want to say and how you want the problem to be solved.
- Make sure you have the necessary documents from the company ready (bills, letters etc). The documents may have a reference number that you may need when speaking to the company.
- Have a pen and paper ready so you can note the person’s name you were talking to, and a record of what they said.
- If you are making a complaint by telephone, follow it up with a letter, especially if your complaint is serious.
- If you decide to complain by letter first, ensure that you explain the problem fully, what action you have taken so far, who you dealt with and what happened as a result.
- Always make a copy of anything you send and always keep the original documents.
- If you become involved in a dispute with your energy company, it is important to make a note of meter readings and the dates they were taken.
- Click here to download copies of our template lettes to help you make your complaint.
Remember:If you have contacted the company concerned and they have not solved the problem or you are not satisfied with their response, contact our Consumer Protection team on 0800 121 6022 or make a complaint online.
(Please note: calls will be recorded in order to improve the quality of our service and for business purposes)